Kuttichira is a place of historical importance it was the main square in the Calicut urban area from 14 th century. There are several mosques around the place which is formed around a tank. The construction of the mosques here are all based on traditional timber construction with tiered roofs. Here the inhabitants are belonging to the Muslim traders.

Mucchandipalli Mosque (humorously called Muccunti Mosque) at Kuttichira is a classic example of this architecture. A stone inscription at the mosque reveals the history of the Zamorins of Kozhikode and their patronage of Islam. Mishkal Masjid, a four storied structure supported by wooden pillars, is another architectural wonder. Some portions of the mosque were burned down in 1510 by the Portuguese. The burned portions are still preserved and it can be seen on the top floors of the mosque